Friday, June 5, 2015

Finding home

I suppose home began in my mother
In her womb, in her arms,
Safe in her voice, her smile, her presence, her love.

Home expanded
To a building I grew up in,
A city I was raised in,
A "permanent address."

Home became my own,
A place I furnished and filled
As any proper adult should.

"Home is where the heart is,"
So home was also with my friends,
Laughing and drinking beer,
Sharing stories and crying tears.

Then I shook out the blanket
And home became
Wherever I laid my head.

I folded the blanket and put it down
Home would be
Wherever I decided it would be
And I decided on here.

But if home is ever-changing
Alongside life,
Then is its definition defeated?

Or am I an alien
To anyplace forever,
Constantly in transition
Never letting dust settle?

I wonder.

I wander.

At the end, the very very end
though, I know,
Home is where I'll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment